Waiver wire pitchers to add and two start pitcher rankings for week 9 of fantasy baseball.
Spencer Turnbull (SP – Detroit Tigers)
Ownership: Yahoo 42% ESPN 24% CBS 64%
Spencer Turnbull has been a pleasant surprise for the Detroit Tigers with a 2.68 ERA and 9.06 K/9 through ten starts. Turnbull has yet to give up more than three earned runs in any start this season. Consistency has been hard to come by when it comes to starting pitching this year. A 9.4% walk rate is preventing Turnbull from going deeper into games more often but a decent 45% ground ball rate and good strikeout numbers helps him get out of trouble. Turnbull should be owned in all 12 team leagues and deeper at this point.
Gio Gonzalez (SP – Milwaukee Brewers)
Ownership: Yahoo 33% ESPN 18% CBS 64%
The Milwaukee Brewers signed Gio Gonzalez after he failed to make the Yankees rotation. Through five starts, Gio has pitched solidly with a 2-1 record and 2.39 ERA. While pitching at Miller Park could be dangerous, Gonzalez has given up only one home run in 26 innings, thanks in part to his low 28.4% fly ball rate and 29.3% hard hit rate. He won’t be someone to count on for strikeouts with only a 6.49 K/9, but he could continue to pitch his way into some wins and not ruin your ERA. Add in 15 team leagues and deeper and stream for two start weeks in 12 team leagues.
Mitch Keller (SP – Pittsburgh Pirates)
Ownership: Yahoo 15% ESPN 1% CBS 29%
The Pirates will be calling up their top pitching prospect, Mitch Keller, to start the second game of a double header Monday against the Cincinnati Reds. The 23 year old prospect has gotten off to a good start in AAA with a 3.45 ERA and 10.72 K/9 and according to Pirates’ manager Clint Hurdle, has a chance to stick in the rotation. Keller is a speculative add in 12 team leagues and deeper.
Nick Pivetta (SP – Philadelphia Phillies)
Ownership: Yahoo 23% ESPN 38% CBS 31%
The Phillies will be calling up starting pitcher Nick Pivetta from AAA to start against the St. Louis Cardinals. There were high hopes for Pivetta coming into the season and a popular mid-round target in many drafts due to the underlying skills many were hoping would turn into excellent production. Pivetta made six starts in AAA and struck out 50 batters in 37 innings with a 3.41 ERA. It’s possible that some correction was made with Pivetta and he’s someone I will add in hopes of a turnaround in 12 teams leagues and deeper where I need pitching help.
Andrew Heaney (SP – Los Angeles Angels)
Ownership: Yahoo 52% ESPN 40% CBS 62%
Los Angeles Angels starter Andrew Heaney is making is season debut today against the Texas Rangers. Heaney had an excellent season last year with 180 strikeouts in 180 innings and a 4.15 ERA. Heaney made one start in AAA and struck out ten batters in 4.1 innings without giving up a run. Pick Heaney up wherever he is available. A year similar to last season would make him relevant in all leagues.
Two Start Streamers of the Week
Trevor Richards (Miami Marlins) 5/28 vs SFG, 6/2 @ SDP
Trevor Richards has had an up and down season so far, hurt by the long ball with a 1.49 HR/9. Good starts against the Mets and Tigers has me encouraged to stream him this week against the San Francisco Giants, possibly the best matchup he could have. Richards then gets the strikeout prone Padres on the road on Sunday. Owned in only 10% of Yahoo leagues, I’m streaming Richards in 12 team leagues and deeper.
Jeff Samardzija (San Francisco Giants) 5/28 @ MIA, 6/2 @ BAL
San Francisco Giants starter Jeff Samardzija has pitched to a 3.27 ERA this year and is coming off a quality start against the Braves, pitching six innings and striking out seven batters. This week he gets the Miami Marlins on the road followed by a visit to Baltimore against the Orioles.
Two-Start Pitcher Rankings
- Max Scherzer – @ MIA, @ CIN
- Jacob deGrom – @ LAD, @ ARI
- Gerrit Cole – vs CHI, @ OAK
- Zack Greinke – @ COL, vs NYM
- Luis Castillo – vs PIT, @ WAS
- Clayton Kershaw – vs NYM, vs PHI
- Masahiro Tanaka – vs SDP, vs BOS
- Rich Hill – vs NYM, vs PHI
- Cole Hamels – @ HOU, @ STL
- Marco Gonzales – vs TEX, vs LAA
- Matthew Boyd – @ BAL, @ ATL
- Matt Strahm – @ NYY, vs MIA
- Rick Porcello – vs CLE, @ NYY
- Lucas Giolito – vs KCR, vs CLE
- Jon Gray – vs ARI, vs TOR
- Jeff Samardzija – @ MIA, @ BAL
- Steven Matz – @ LAD, @ ARI
- Sonny Gray – vs PIT, vs WAS
- Trevor Richards – vs SFG, @ SDP
- Jordan Lyles – @ CIN, vs MIL
- Chris Bassitt – vs LAA, vs HOU
- Lance Lynn – @ SEA, vs KCR
- Michael Pineda – vs MIL, @ TBR
- Gio Gonzalez – @ MIN, @ PIT
- Nick Pivetta – vs STL, @ LAD
- Jose Urena – @ WAS, @ SDP
- Brad Keller – @ CWS, @ TEX
- Adam Wainwright – @ PHI, vs CHC
- Daniel Norris – @ BAL, @ ATL
- Aaron Sanchez – @ TBR, @ COL
- Trevor Cahill – @ OAK, @ SEA
- Jefry Rodriguez – @ BOS, @ CWS
- Merrill Kelly – @ COL, vs NYM
- Adrian Sampson – @ SEA, vs KCR
- Tommy Milone – vs TEX, vs LAA
- Antonio Senzatela – vs ARI, vs TOR
- Matt Harvey – @ OAK, @ SEA
- Ivan Nova – vs KCR, vs CLE